Friday, December 18, 2009

An Observation

I had a thought a few days ago, to adapt my food choices to my style of eating. Probably not a new or novel idea, and not unheard of, but it's one I had, as yet never tried.

I am not a "meal" person. It is rare that I can sit down and eat "3 squares" a day. Honestly, I just kind of graze all day, and then eat a full dinner. So I have made this adaptation:

I eat something in the morning, usually a cup of oatmeal, and then I just pack a random assortment of things to snack on. I've been mixing Quaker granola clusters (with raisins and sliced almonds in), almonds, and either Chex cereal or peanuts, and munching on that. I also have been taking baby carrots, raw broccoli, some tomato soup, etc. and eating that off and on throughout the day. I am drinking the Ocean Spray powdered mix that you add to your water bottle, in various flavors, and thus increasing my water intake.

I have noticed that I am staying satisfied longer, which surprises me because it is not, in the traditional sense at least, a full meal, and things seem to be moving more smoothly in general.

I am not fully vegan yet, but I'm getting there. We were tired last night and we did order in some pizza, and since I was sharing with my kiddo, I didn't hold the cheese, but aside from that, I've been pretty good.

I weighed myself this morning and I've lost about 1 1/2 pounnds, which is ok, considering that I haven't really exercised much yet, thanks to my angry knee. It is getting better now, still some twinges with stairs, but not as bad as it used to be. I may try to work out this weekend and see how it goes.

It's kind of funny that most of what I eat now is raw food, fruits/veggies. The nuts are roasted, but not salted, it's pretty healthy stuff compared to what I've been eating before.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I promised myself to get better (again) about food, but since I'll be visiting my dad and step-mom soon (and they are the worst eaters), I'm going to postpone my resolution till after the trip. Till then, I'm going to do the best I can.

    Sounds like you're doing well, Gigi. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a bad day yesterday, it was so rough, all I wanted to do was eat eat eat!! it was very hard to restrain myself, I did cheat a little but that was today. I had some cheetos, about an ounce or so...and tonight, mike and I went to dinner at denny's and I had my first cola in months...I drank half the glass...hopefully I won't feel bloated in the morning...we shall try again tomorrow...was doing good up til yesterday though..

    ReplyDelete